sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Detection of GNU C++ compiler hangs when compiling gcc 4.3.0

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Detection of GNU C++ compiler hangs when compiling gcc 4.3.0
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 08:39:24 +0200

Am Sun, 25 May 2008 16:16:07 -0600
schrieb "Javier Vasquez" <jevv.cr AT gmail.com>:

> Actually I compared the one in the laptop failing against the one in
> one box for which I have 4.3.0 already working, and a diff doesn't
> show anything, so I doubt the file got corrupted.

Yeah, it's a file that works with gcc 4.3. I'm a bit troubled by your
experience.
Would we need to remove all GCC compilers (g++ and perhaps gfortran,
etc., too) before upgrading gcc? Cleary, one could consider gcc-4.3
along with installed g++ 4.2 as rather inconsistent.
That _so_ calls for castfs -- like with KDE stuff that takes long to
compile, I can't bear removing big pieces of software from the system
hours before they can be replaced.
Of course another thing is that one may avoid the concept of live
upgrades of the running system, like I did for some slower box: There I
have two root partitions, one for work and one for casting stuff in
chroot, switching those after a system update.

Alrighty then,

Thomas.

PS: When the GCC spells are so tricky with their consistency, would
it be beneficial to have _one_ gcc spell that optionally installs
g++, gfortran and the like; replacing g++ depends by sub-depends on
this one? It would at least ease updates; perhaps even speed up the
overall build as some synergy of common compile work would come into
efect?