sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Detection of GNU C++ compiler hangs when compiling gcc 4.3.0

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Javier Vasquez" <jevv.cr AT gmail.com>
  • To: "SM, Discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Detection of GNU C++ compiler hangs when compiling gcc 4.3.0
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 11:32:35 -0600

Hi,

On a laptop under test grimoire, for which I haven't run "sorcery -s"
even before the gcc 4.3.0 release on test, I decided to go ahead and
perform "sorcery -s" as I did with another box some time back.
However at some point while compiling one of the gcc/g++ components
the process completely froze on one of the ./configure's:

checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler...

Well, then I tried re-casting gcc, and I always get immediately after
trying casting the same error. So, after some debug, I know that
what's trying to get executed is $ac_complie, which at the moment of
running is:

$CXX -c $CXXFLAGS $CPPFLAGS conftest.$ac_ext >&5

But that fails with :

g++: unrecognized option '-mtune=generic'

This comes from:

(eval $ac_compile) 2>conftest.er1 ~ line 3904 of the ./configure file...

Why is this? How can it be overcome? It looks like I'm stuck, :(.

Thanks,

--
Javier