sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO docs and issues (was: Please test new devel ISO)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO docs and issues (was: Please test new devel ISO)
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 16:07:37 -0800

Quoting Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>:
How about
/etc/profile.d/smgl-doc-nagger.sh, which uses a count stored in /var/state
or someplace to make sure it only displays, say, the first 5 logins.
A bit magical, but it removes issues about "first boot" and about "non-
root login", though obviously non-root wouldn't be able to count down
the count. Basing it on time would have the classic problem if the user
only adjusts timezone / system time after setting the system up all the
way.

Personally, I dislike both the one-time notification (chance of missing
it) and a permanent notification. I don't want to be responsible for
half the smgl boxes having a 10-line blurb on every login just because
their admins are too lazy to change it ;)

I disagree. Instead of picking some magical number which no one will agree with (some may say first login only (already have), others all logins until noted others (e.g. me), and many varying numbers in between), just stick it somewhere most people know about: /etc/motd

If it's annoying, the admin can remove it. If it's not annoying, it doesn't hurt.

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285