sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Please test new devel ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Please test new devel ISO
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 14:41:20 -0600

Quoting Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>:

I mentioned a onetime run script with a README file in /root
It'd run the first time root logs in. Display that there's a README
file (or maybe less the README for them, but that's kinda annoying)

I prefer the motd as then they receive the message every time they
login (as root or not) until they get tired of it and modify. ;) I'd
hate to login as root, not notice the info (not paying attention),
reboot, and then wonder, "What next?".

That's the point. It's a one time notification. It'd have to be sufficiently annoying to catch your attention. Perhaps takes over the console for a second, so that you realize there's something there.

That's due to cruft building up in our chroot building process. We're
not cleaning up after ourselves well enough when we're building our
stable chroots. The stable-basesystem-0.16 tarball is actually missing
shadow! And it's got the Xen interfaces in there, which shouldn't be
there as well.

I've only been running `cleanse` on these machines and then emptying
/var/cache/sorcery and /var/spool/sorcery before generating.

Yeah, we need to come up with a canned set of actions. perhaps a spell or a script that can make sure our chroots are clean.
First thing: emptying out that persistent.net.rules file or whatever it's called. And verifying that all the appropriate spells are installed. Althouhg, I would've thought cleanse would be doing that :/

lessee if horde can generate a valid pgp signature today...

Let me know how that goes! My work blocks IMAPS, so it's HORDE
interface for me. There is anubis, but HORDE should already take care
of this for us.

Horde seems to be hit or miss. My work blocks anything that's not http so I understand the issue. It's damn irritating.

--
David Kowis
| www.ronpaul2008.com | www.sourcemage.org |