sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Cry for help

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Juan Carlos Torres <carlosdgtorres AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Cry for help
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 11:39:45 +0800

Hello mages!

Relatively new user here and first mail to the list. So far I've been
enjoying
the Source Mage experience. It's almost everything I hoped it would be. The
ride was a bit bumpy, but it was enjoyable, thanks to the community. I'm
still a bit far from the goals I set for myself in Source Mage, and I need
all the help I can get, specially with three issues I've never been able to
figure out on my own. I am very willing to learn and read in order to learn,
but it's kinda frustrating when you're totally clueless and don't even know
where to begin. A nudge or pointer in the right direction would be greatly
apprieciated. Without further delay, in order of ascending
importance/annoyance:

1. Compose key to enter accented/special characters. I don't always use
special characters, but it can be quite a pain to have to launch a separate
app (like kcharselect) to enter those characters. I have include
Option "XkbOptions" "compose:ralt" in my xorg.cnf already. But it only works
in KDM (login screen). Anyone with links on how to set this up (in KDE),
please do share. :)

2. Printing and Scanning. I have an HP PSC 1350 (Printer-Scanner-Copier). I
have never experienced what it is like to setup CUPS and SANE from scratch,
so I'm completely lost. I have blindy installed cups, hplip, hpijs, a bunch
of foomatic stuff, sane, and xsane. My printer is detected and I can add it
with the correct driver (HP PSC 1300), but I can't seem to be able to print
anything, not even a test page. Do I have to be part of a goup other than lp?
And the scanner is totally undetected.

3. Konsole 4 (from KDE 4) fails to build using our Qt 4 spell. This is
currently my biggest source of headache/heartache. Basically, kdebase4 fails
to build with this error messages:

[ 38%] Generating konsolepart_automoc.cpp
cd /home/kde4/kde/build/KDE/kdebase/apps/konsole/src
&& /home/kde4/kde/bin/kde4automoc
/home/kde4/kde/build/KDE/kdebase/apps/konsole/src/konsolepart_automoc.cpp
/home/kde4/kde/src/KDE/kdebase/apps/konsole/src
/home/kde4/kde/build/KDE/kdebase/apps/konsole/src /usr/bin/qt4/moc
Generating Part.moc
/home/kde4/kde/src/KDE/kdebase/apps/konsole/src/Part.h:57: Error: Undefined
interface
kde4automoc: process
for /home/kde4/kde/build/KDE/kdebase/apps/konsole/src/Part.moc failed:
Unknown error
pid to wait for: 0
processes in queue: 0
returning failed..
make[2]: *** [apps/konsole/src/konsolepart_automoc.cpp] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/kde4/kde/build/KDE/kdebase'
make[1]: *** [apps/konsole/src/CMakeFiles/konsolepart.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/kde4/kde/build/KDE/kdebase'
make: *** [all] Error 2
makeobj[0]: Leaving directory `/home/kde4/kde/build/KDE/kdebase'

This only happens when using our Qt 4 spell. I've tried using qt-copy from
KDE's SVN, following http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4#Qt
and Qt 4.3.2 directly from Trolltech, built with the same options as KDE's
qt-copy. Both of these work. I'm suspecting it might have something to do
with our spell. Anyway, KDE 4.0 will officially be released by January so I
can probably survive that long. But I really need this soon, since KDE is my
main area of interest.

I really hope I can find some help to get these resolved soon. I really want
to make things work in Source Mage. Unfortunately, I'm beginning to doubt
whether I have the stuff that makes a mage. :(

Thanks in advance!