sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Wireless Bridge

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Matthew Clark <matthewclark AT inlesserterms.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Wireless Bridge
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 17:22:13 -0600

Quoting Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>:

Am Wed, 14 Nov 2007 12:50:14 -0600
schrieb Matthew Clark <matthewclark AT inlesserterms.net>:

I wanted to see if there's anyone out there who's been successful at
getting SMGL to run as a wireless bridge. And to make myself clear,
what I mean is to join a wired segment to another wired segment using
802.11.

In the danger of being irrelevant: I didn't bridge two LAN segments, I
made a bridge on my laptop to bring the Wii console into our local LAN,
and hence then being routed to the internet.
I used hostapd - and I guess you are referring to this one, too, as the
thing that supports mainly prism chips.
It happens to support Atheros (madwifi) chips, too - that's what I have
in my Thinkpad.
I build the bridge with this script:

rmmod ath_pci
modprobe ath_pci rfkill=0
wlanconfig ath0 destroy
wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode ap
iwpriv ath0 mode 2
ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 up
ifconfig ath0 0.0.0.0 up
brctl addbr br0
brctl addif br0 eth0
brctl addif br0 ath0
ifconfig br0 192.168.0.34
route add default gw 192.168.0.100
echo enter to stop...
read bla
ifconfig br0 down
ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 down
ifconfig ath0 0.0.0.0 down
brctl delif br0 eth0
brctl delif br0 ath0
brctl delbr br0

and then start hostapd, which does the WPA2 stuff and actually manages
the connection from the Wii.
Not quite sure what would be different in your setup.

Alrighty then,

Thomas.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's always nice to peer into another's config files ;)

I bought a Linksys WUSB54GC thinking it would have a Prism chip in it. It did not (had a ra73 instead). I took it back to the store. I was hoping I would be able to purchase some dinky off-the-shelf Wi-Fi card (D-Link, Netgear, Linksys, etc) that would have such a chip, but I cannot find anything. I certainly don't have the patience to order something online.

I think what I'll do is just go drop $80 on a wireless access point. That will certainly do the job. Too bad, though -- I was hoping I would be able to make use of the little Dell box that is otherwise useless to me. Oh well.

However, I would still be very interested in any information anyone might have on this subject. Thanks, Thomas.

- MaffooClock