sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Wireless Bridge

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Matthew Clark <matthewclark AT inlesserterms.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Wireless Bridge
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 12:50:14 -0600

I wanted to see if there's anyone out there who's been successful at getting SMGL to run as a wireless bridge. And to make myself clear, what I mean is to join a wired segment to another wired segment using 802.11. The local wired segment uses a common 802.11 wireless access point (WRT54G, to be irrelevantly specific). The remote wired segment will use the SMGL rig as a wireless bridge.

There's good information on this page:
http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Net:Bridge

I have an old junker Dell machine that should suit this task perfectly. Inside is an on-board 3c59x device (3com 3C905TX, eth0), and in a PCI slot is a rt2500 (Linksys WMP54G, ra0).

I can't seem to make netconf play nicely with bridging, so I don't use it at all. Instead, I have written a startup script that loads the modules for each card, creates a bridge (br0), adds the interfaces to the bridge, and sets an IP address to the bridge (so I can access the system remotely if I have to). All of this works. In fact, I can ping hosts through each interface from the bridge rig itself. Also, I can issue a `brctl showmacs br0` and I can see a list of MAC addresses on both interfaces. But nothing will communicate *through* the bridge.

Some reading suggests that what I want to do is only achievable using a wireless card that employs a Prism chip (something to do with MAC spoofing and how most Wi-Fi cards won't do it). I am unable to find much of anything on which Wi-Fi cards have this chip, or if any other wireless card will work.

So I turn to my fellow SMGL users to see if anyone else has built their own wireless bridge, and how you did it (or anyone else who has some knowledge that might make this work). I'm thinking someone's going to either tell me I have it right, but I just need a specific Wi-Fi card, or someone will know what I'm missing and share that hint to get what I already have up and running. But bridge-utils seems pretty simple, so what could I have missed?

- MaffooClock