sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] /etc/hosts being ignored?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Matthew Clark <matthewclark AT inlesserterms.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] /etc/hosts being ignored?
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 12:29:05 -0500

Quoting Elisamuel Resto <ryuji AT mages.ath.cx>:

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 09:01:42 -0700, Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 17:03:47 +0200
Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org> wrote:

> Am Mon, 30 Jul 2007 09:55:47 -0500
> schrieb Matthew Clark <matthewclark AT inlesserterms.net>:
>

> > After your reply, I checked on my other machines and found that
> > they do have the nsswitch.conf file. I guess I read my ls output
> > too quickly :)
>
> Well, it seems to come from the ISO, not from a spell... perhaps we
> should change that. It's a basic file that should exist.
>

> Thomas.

What would provide nsswitch.conf? It's mostly a lookup file. Perhaps
basesystem should become more than just a meta spell, or do we want to
setup specific spells for some of these "generic" files?

-sandalle

To me, basesystem should provide base files needed for the system that
are not provided by any other spell.

I agree.

By the way: this is a x86_64 rig that was built from the fancy, graphical ISO (by a fellow developer whose name I cannot recall at this time) which does not use a guided menu system. With this, you have to really know what you're doing and be sure to cast everything you need, otherwise, your fresh install of SMGL won't work right. This, perhaps, is the reason this particular machine didn't have this file. Quite likely, there are other things missing, but all works well, so I don't notice until things like this occur... That fancy x86_64 ISO was a beta (or alpha?).

--
Elisamuel Resto <ryuji AT mages.ath.cx>
Source Mage GNU/Linux / http://www.sourcemage.org