sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Can we have the sumary of cast a emailed to the admin?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew Stitt <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Can we have the sumary of cast a emailed to the admin?
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 19:39:48 -0700

On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 01:57:33PM -0700, Eric Sandall wrote:
> Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik wrote:
> <snip>
> >> Perhaps rename cast_pass_five to something non-Sorcery hackers would
> >> understand without looking at the code. :) May want a CONFLICTS hook as
> >> well.
> >>
> > Well one will need to know sorcery internals anyway but I'll take any
> > suggestions for that...
> >
> > maybe cast_final ?
>
> cast_final makes much more sense. :)

If you're going to rename the numbered phases you might want to consider
renaming the others.

Also, consider that function names are always somewhat arbitrary :-)
numbered phases made perfect sense to me, even before I knew anything
about how cast worked.

You might also want to be careful about renaming too many things because
the existing sorcery hacker's explainations of the code to others might
need extra translation. I'll probably always think of phase five as phase
five, not cast_final (which might be interprited as the function that
would run a spell's FINAL).

Of course, thats all for the new SL to decide. Since Im not running for
another term. To clarify that, although I wont be re-running, I'll stay
present within the community and am happy to be a resource for explaining
sorcery internals. At least until I forget it all.

-Andrew

| Andrew D. Stitt | acedit at armory.com | astitt at sourcemage.org |
| irc: afrayedknot | Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |
| 1024D/D39B096C | 76E4 728A 04EE 62B2 A09A 96D7 4D9E 239B D39B 096C |