sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Init_Plans Project

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Init_Plans Project
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:57:43 +0100

On 15:35:29 2007-02-28 David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org> wrote:
> Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik wrote:
> > As some are already aware of this and some aren't I'm posting it here.
> >
> > Quite a few people are unhappy with our current init setup. Be it the
> > non-mainstream configuration(i.e. no usual /etc/init.d) be it
> > unmaintained(simpleinit-msb) etc...
> >
> > So during the last two days while people are trying to solve a bug
> > with simpleinit-msb and current Linux kernels I've been compiling the
> > following wiki page:
> >
> > http://wiki.sourcemage.org/Init_Plans
> >
> > It's based on the discussions that happened on irc. The overall
> > consensus is that we should switch to a more mainstream, maintained
> > and stable init system. This is a long term plan so don't expect any
> > serious work being done on it in the next 6 months.
>
> That is a painfully biased Wiki page. It really really needs to be
> rewritten before being used as any type of official document. There's
> almost no research on there, and it's all written in first person. I'm
> certain the opinions on there don't represent the entire project. If
> you're going to write a wiki page summarizing the discussion on IRC,
> keep it impartial and unbiased...

There is no research because there have been none done yet. It's the job of
volunteers to fill in the blanks... And it's a wiki... feel free
to fix it up.

--
Andraž "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Hacker FAQ: http://www.plethora.net/%7eseebs/faqs/hacker.html
Be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.

Key id = F4C1F89C
Key fingerprint = 6FF2 8F20 4C9D DB36 B5B6 F134 884D 72CC F4C1 F89C