sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Init_Plans Project

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Init_Plans Project
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 08:35:29 -0600

Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik wrote:
As some are already aware of this and some aren't I'm posting it here.

Quite a few people are unhappy with our current init setup. Be it the
non-mainstream configuration(i.e. no usual /etc/init.d) be it
unmaintained(simpleinit-msb) etc...

So during the last two days while people are trying to solve a bug with
simpleinit-msb and current Linux kernels I've been compiling the
following wiki page:

http://wiki.sourcemage.org/Init_Plans

It's based on the discussions that happened on irc. The overall consensus
is that we should switch to a more mainstream, maintained and stable init
system. This is a long term plan so don't expect any serious work being done
on it in the next 6 months.

That is a painfully biased Wiki page. It really really needs to be rewritten before being used as any type of official document. There's almost no research on there, and it's all written in first person. I'm certain the opinions on there don't represent the entire project. If you're going to write a wiki page summarizing the discussion on IRC, keep it impartial and unbiased...