sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Init_Plans Project

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: " sm-discuss " <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Init_Plans Project
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:29:25 +0100

As some are already aware of this and some aren't I'm posting it here.

Quite a few people are unhappy with our current init setup. Be it the
non-mainstream configuration(i.e. no usual /etc/init.d) be it
unmaintained(simpleinit-msb) etc...

So during the last two days while people are trying to solve a bug with
simpleinit-msb and current Linux kernels I've been compiling the
following wiki page:

http://wiki.sourcemage.org/Init_Plans

It's based on the discussions that happened on irc. The overall consensus
is that we should switch to a more mainstream, maintained and stable init
system. This is a long term plan so don't expect any serious work being done
on it in the next 6 months.

We do have a green light from our project lead to start researching
various init systems so that we could in the end make an informed
decision about which one we would like.

There is a table on the above mentioned page that list some init systems
along with volunteers that are working on them.

To make it clear. Multiple people can research the same init system and
even multiple ones.

What information do we want from this research:

How well maintained the system is upstream?
How robust is it?
Pros?
Cons?
Community support?
Can it run our current init scripts with little or no modifications(THIS IS
IMPORTANT).
Known unfixed bugs of it? Any security issues it had?
Developer support?
Anything else you can think of to add to the list?

I expect people to add themselves to the list and start researching.
I would like to have an initial report done by 2007-05-15, stuff like
is this system viable for us, would it be easy/hard to change to it.

Why that date. I'd like to present an initial overall report on this
project on the next developer meeting. Note I will be pushing this project
a lot. Main reason I would like to have all this init stuff finally
resolved so that we can get on with more important things. I would also
like to see qemu images with an implementation but that should be more at
the end of the research(6 months from now or so).

So if you're interested in *any* other init system and I do mean ANY even
if it's not on the list add it and start researching. If any of the
init's on the list won't be taken by the next developer meeting they will
more than likely be removed from the list.

!!!BEING A DEVELOPER IS NOT A PREREQUISITE FOR THIS PROJECT!!!

Thank you for your attention.

- --
Andraž "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Hacker FAQ: http://www.plethora.net/%7eseebs/faqs/hacker.html
Be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.

Key id = F4C1F89C
Key fingerprint = 6FF2 8F20 4C9D DB36 B5B6 F134 884D 72CC F4C1 F89C