sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Student project ?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andraž \"ruskie\" Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Student project ?
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 16:23:40 +0200

Flavien Bridault wrote :

> gpg: Signature made pet 29 sep 2006 15:11:46 CEST using DSA key ID 2C92FA36
> gpg: Good signature from "Flavien Bridault (Source Mage Grimoire Guru)
> <vlaaad AT sourcemage.org>"
> gpg: There is no indication that the signature belongs to the
> owner.
> Primary key fingerprint: 3B45 20D7 6BEC C8A5 BBF1 A9D0 85E5 3D08 2C92 FA36
>

> Le jeudi 28 septembre 2006 ? 19:20 +0200, Andraž "ruskie" Levstik a
> ?crit :
> > Andrew Stitt wrote :
> >
> > > How about libpatch? The basic idea is to provide some sort of API for
> > > spells to uniformly describe their patches. The API has to be generic
> > > enough to support both simple usages and complex ones. Patching of
> > > course, requires touching all three phases of cast (depends-resolution,
> > > downloading, building). Its non-intrusive to the core of sorcery, and
> > > can even be prototyped outside sorcery.
> > >

> > This is a good idea acctually. It's basicaly something to be plugged
> > into sorcery and we have a spec for it as well...
> > http://wiki.sourcemage.org/libpatch
> >
> The students have almost 100 hours to work on that project. Do you think
> the work needed on libpatch takes all this time ? Note that they would
> probably not be experienced with bash programming nor with SMGL...
> Looking at the bug, I saw that there was already some work done. What
> has been done exactly ? Can/shall we not link libpatch work with
> http://wiki.sourcemage.org/Grimoire_Patches ?

The work that's been done by me only has one usefull thing and that's
the config_loc application of patches(which could/should be enhanced and
reworked a bit).

Everything else needs a rework based on the libpatch specs.

Well the grimoire patches is for patches that are included in the
grimoire. Libpatch has a broader spectrum so none of the naming/diff
comments/etc would be applicable for upstream patches(i.e. dillo i18n
patch).

But it could/should be able to identify such a patch and use it.

It took me a little over 3 days to write the initial crappy libpatch and
that's near full days. So I'm guessing 100 hours divided with multiple
ppl can be sufficient.

--
Andraž "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Hacker FAQ: http://www.plethora.net/%7eseebs/faqs/hacker.html
Be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.

Key id = A7A9E461
Key fingerprint = 757E C16B F5B7 DC27 B003 CCED CF95 3A77 A7A9 E461