sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Student project ?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew Stitt <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Student project ?
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 11:08:12 -0700

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 06:35:21PM +0200, Stephan Erb wrote:
> What do you think about the option of installing binarys?
>
> The focus could be still on the source-spells but the spells which are
> cast by prometheus could be available via a special grimoire directly.
>
> It shouldn't matter whether I use firefox or firefox-bin anymore. I
> would appreciate this feature.

Sorcery has a binary feature, its called resurrect, been around since
the begining. It does need improvement in several areas however.

Be careful though, you're mixing ideas. 'firefox' is the source spell,
'firefox-bin' installs a precompiled upstream binary, but also a spell
(just with no compilation step). When you cast a spell, a cache tarball
is made of the installation base, which may be resurrected at a later
date if the current spell version hasnt changed. The idea of using
prometheus to generate cache tarballs for everyone has been brought
up before.

-Andrew

| Andrew D. Stitt | acedit at armory.com | astitt at sourcemage.org |
| irc: afrayedknot | Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |
| 1024D/D39B096C | 76E4 728A 04EE 62B2 A09A 96D7 4D9E 239B D39B 096C |