sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] scm next steps

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] scm next steps
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 22:15:16 +0200

On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 12:48:59PM -0700, Eric Sandall wrote:
> > svk is ready. The size requirements are closer to p4, but still higher.
> > The checkout directory with all four current branches is 425M, the .svk
> > meta directory each checkout has is another 248M. This is without any
> > real
> > history. The initial checkout is for the 248M and takes quite a long time
> > (it was close to 2 hours here). status/etc. commands are a good bit
> > quicker than svn. I'll save the other comments and benchmarks for now but
> > in general I don't like it nearly as well as git from an admin standpoint.
> <snip>
>
> Thanks for setting that up, Jeremy. :)

Agreed, thanks for the work Jeremy :)

> I would go for leaving mercurial (hg) out, at least until the current
> round of testing is done with Perforce, SVN/SVK, and git. To me git
> seems to be doing quite well, with the only thing going for SVN/SVK is
> it's currently more popular with more tools/front-ends for it and
> Perforce already being setup and our developers familiar with it. :)

Either we leave it out forever or we add it now.
When this round of testing is done, we want to be _done_ with the whole
SCM issue. We'll run the whole-grimoire test with the option of going
back to p4, of course, but the idea is that we settle this for the
foreseeable future.
Personally I'd say we add it. We have a very strong contender with git,
so adding additional systems is imho a good idea. It gives us another
perspective on the whole thing. Subversion kinda disqualified itself
with regards to scalability, so any system that can scale to our setup
shouldn't be left out.
Overall, I don't have a problem with this testing period taking another
month or two. We want to have a good basis to judge the systems, and we
want to switch to something we're reasonably sure of that it'll work for
us in the future. Let's test until we're confident we know what system
ot use, that'll take less time overall than doing this whole thing again
in a year ;)

http://www.sourcemage.org