sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] scm next steps

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] scm next steps
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 23:49:54 -0500

On Apr 12, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) [jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org] wrote:
> The current identified SCMs to try are git, svk, and svn. git is most
> similar to bzr (which the other teams are already using) and has a very
> robust feature set. svk is most similar to p4. svn is probably in the
> widest general community use. Is this the right list? Do we have some
> volunteer gurus/sections for each?

I think svn is ready for people to try. As I've noted already, so far the
space/etc. requirements are very unfavorable for us actually using this
long term. If you want to put a section in it to try anyway, let me know
and I'll set you up with access. At this stage I'm afraid I can't make a
general checkout available because we simply don't have the bandwidth to
afford a lot of people pulling this tree down. If we were to somehow
select svn for a long term trial, we'd need to find some way to get around
that issue.

The import was done the same way git was: test is the trunk, and stable-rc,
stable, and devel are branches of that. All are current to p4 as of 2 or 3
days ago, and each spell was updated in each branch individually so it has
a merge point for its latest update.

svk reportedly is easier on the resources, so hopefully that one will go
better.