sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] another bit about organization

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Mathieu L." <lejatorn AT smgl.homelinux.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] another bit about organization
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 17:16:08 +0100

A little rant I felt I needed as we recently talked a lot about
organization:
I remember it took me quite some time to make the soya-3d spell a while
ago and I've just discovered while updating my games grimoire that
Neuron recently made a soya spell which is of course the same app.

At the time, I consulted Sandalle and Alley-cat (I think) and we
concluded that the spell should go in graphics-libs section. So now we
have two spells, one in graphics-libs and one in games and of course
we'll have to get rid of one.
I don't know if Neuron put some effort
into that spell but whatever we decide to do now, that kind of
situation shouldn't happen because it's really a waste of time and
efforts imo.

So what was the problem here? Should have Neuron better looked into the
grimoires to see if there was already such a spell? probably. but
would that have been sufficient? One could say that then it was up to
the games grimoire maintainer to verify that such a spell didn't already
exist, but that wouldn't be fair imo because ruskie is not supposed to be
aware of all the spells in the other grimoires.
I think we have to tighten up our policy about making/updating spells so
that these kinds of inconsistencies don't occur anymore.

Well I guess I'm making a big fuss of something that's not that bad an
issue but these kind of flaws in our workflow tend to piss me off,
especially when I was involved in it of course.

Cheers,
Mathieu.

--
"Monde de merde."