sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] another bit about organization

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Mathieu L." <lejatorn AT smgl.homelinux.net>
  • To: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] another bit about organization
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 20:17:18 +0100

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 10:26:11AM -0800, Eric Sandall wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Feb 2006, Mathieu L. wrote:
> > A little rant I felt I needed as we recently talked a lot about
> > organization:
> > I remember it took me quite some time to make the soya-3d spell a while
> > ago and I've just discovered while updating my games grimoire that
> > Neuron recently made a soya spell which is of course the same app.
> >
> > At the time, I consulted Sandalle and Alley-cat (I think) and we
> > concluded that the spell should go in graphics-libs section. So now we
> > have two spells, one in graphics-libs and one in games and of course
> > we'll have to get rid of one.
> > I don't know if Neuron put some effort
> > into that spell but whatever we decide to do now, that kind of
> > situation shouldn't happen because it's really a waste of time and
> > efforts imo.
> >
> > So what was the problem here? Should have Neuron better looked into the
> > grimoires to see if there was already such a spell? probably. but
> > would that have been sufficient? One could say that then it was up to
> > the games grimoire maintainer to verify that such a spell didn't already
> > exist, but that wouldn't be fair imo because ruskie is not supposed to be
> > aware of all the spells in the other grimoires.
> > I think we have to tighten up our policy about making/updating spells so
> > that these kinds of inconsistencies don't occur anymore.
> >
> > Well I guess I'm making a big fuss of something that's not that bad an
> > issue but these kind of flaws in our workflow tend to piss me off,
> > especially when I was involved in it of course.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mathieu.
>
> It is the responsibility of the person submitting the spell to the
> repository to make sure it is not a duplicate in any grimoire. All
> spell creators should check for duplicates before trying to scribe a
> spell, but not all of them (e.g. non-developers) have access to every
> grimoire to check, so that's why it is the responsibility of the one
> submitting to the grimoire.
>
> When duplicates do make it in, the two (or more) packages should be
> compared and the 'best' one kept (and moved to the 'proper' section if
> it is not already).

well I don't know which one is "best" since I haven't looked at both in
details but Neuron's one has a more recent version so I guess that's the
one that should be kept. However I think graphics-libs ought to be the
right section for it since that's where I was advised to put mine.
just my 2 cents. now if anyone wants to take care of that...

Mathieu.

--
"Monde de merde."
Georges Abitbol.