sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] GCC 4 and OpenSSL 0.9.8 in test?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] GCC 4 and OpenSSL 0.9.8 in test?
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:59:57 +0200

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 03:12:11PM -0400, Sergey A. Lipnevich wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I propose moving both of these into test, with some time interval between.
> The
> reason why OpenSSL 0.9.8 should go into test is because it doesn't break
> anything with very few exceptions (I found one and patched, httpd-dev). The
> GCC
> 4 has to go because (a) most important stuff is patched or uses gcc34 and
> (b) we
> now have spells in test that depend on gcc34 (e.g. ntp) while that compiler
> is
> available as is already, which doesn't make sense. Also, I didn't check but
> spells with dependency on gcc34 may have propagated into stable already,
> where
> the compiler version is 3.3, which makes even less sense.
> What are your thoughts on this?

I don't see any problem with the gcc34 spell, the spell clearly states
its only a placeholder.
I do have a problem with getting gcc 4.0.1 into test as it still
generates wrong code for several programs I know of and probably a lot
of programs I don't know of. It would also mean to get an unofficial glibc
snapshot into test, and that's something I'd really prefer not to do.

http://www.sourcemage.org