sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] GCC 4 and OpenSSL 0.9.8 in test?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • Cc: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] GCC 4 and OpenSSL 0.9.8 in test?
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:44:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, Seth Alan Woolley wrote:
On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 03:12:11PM -0400, Sergey A. Lipnevich wrote:
Hi All,

I propose moving both of these into test, with some time interval between. The
reason why OpenSSL 0.9.8 should go into test is because it doesn't break
anything with very few exceptions (I found one and patched, httpd-dev). The
GCC
4 has to go because (a) most important stuff is patched or uses gcc34 and

I'm ok with this move, so we can get more testing of gcc4. Same with openssl.

(b) we
now have spells in test that depend on gcc34 (e.g. ntp) while that compiler is
available as is already, which doesn't make sense. Also,

gcc34 is a null placeholder spell while we work on 4.0.x, so it's not an
issue.

I didn't check but
spells with dependency on gcc34 may have propagated into stable already, where
the compiler version is 3.3, which makes even less sense.

stable-0.1 has version 3.4.4 (stable-0.0 had 3.4.3) and gcc34 is still a
null placeholder spell; this isn't an issue, either.

Seth

What are your thoughts on this?
Thanks!

If possible I'd rather have David Brown's gcc changes[0] in along with
this, once he's done testing them and if Arwed approves. ;)

If those changes are a no-go or we'd rather put them into devel
/after/ the current gcc 4.0 goes to test I'm fine with that as well. I
/would/ like some (I'll have one of my chroots do this) testing of a
current gcc 3.4 -> gcc 4.0 system update.

- -sandalle

[0] David has been working on allowing all compilers to be installed
alongside each other and outside of /opt. All we'd do to 'set' the
default compiler is change the version in the now-meta-spells gcc and
g++ (these setup the symlinks for whichever version they're setup
for).

- --