sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] kyle code purge progress from sorcery

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] kyle code purge progress from sorcery
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 03:24:54 -0700

Since March 2002, we've come a long way in coding sorcery. I've run
ESR's comparator against the old Kyle Codebase since when Anders first
committed the sorcery code to perforce from version 0.1.1

http://smgl.positivism.org:8080/files/sorcery.compare.txt

As you can see we have:

1) some config file holdovers (a list of variables, not copyrightable)

2) dialogrc (not copyrightable)

3) README is the same (could be rewritten)

4) mirrors are the same (not copyrightable, database again)

5) some argument handling code vestiges (very minor)

6) documentation similarity

7) some small snippets from the build api

8) some snippets of the OLDLIBS handling during dispel

9) some rarely used commands in gaze (snapshot handling and gaze installed)

10) almost all of cabal

11) vcast

12) much of the sorcery dialog front end interface and some functions:
show_files, add_pkgs, file_list, remove_pkgs, grep_install_logs,
goodbye, background_execute

13) parts of libdownload and url_http (undergoing rewrite now)

14) /etc/pam.d handling

15) modified by SA backup and not-reaping logic

16) the color on/off logic

17) report printing

18) remnants of early FUZZ support

19) more snippets of OLDLIBS handling

20) small snippets from libsorcery

21) part of the sustained list (not copyrightable)

94% of the code in current sorcery is totally new as you can see by the
numbers in the url above.

I wonder if somebody could rewrite cabal from scratch, that's pretty
much the only thing of size untouched. We could move that into its own
spell, too.

Seth

Key id 00BA3AF3 = 8BE0 A72E A47E A92A 0737 F2FF 7A3F 6D3C 00BA 3AF3
Quality Assurance Team Leader; Security Team Member, Leader Emeritus
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic http://www.sourcemage.org
Elected Coordinating Committee Member, Secretary, and Finances Chair
Pacific Green Party of Oregon - Peace - http://www.pacificgreens.org