sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] unable to install sourcemage (no root)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "FB" <register AT flintz.de>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] unable to install sourcemage (no root)
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:47:51 +0200

>> Well you can manually try to specify a root device in the initrd menu
>> you might have to go to a shell and see what's under /dev
>> I'm not familiar with firewire and what support is needed in the kernel
>> for it and if that support is available on the iso...
>>
>> might need to file a bug to add that.
>>
>> - David Brown
>
>FireWire is not in the ISO kernel. If you wish to have it, please fill >a
>bug (http://bugs.sourcemage.org) and tell us what kernel options (in
>.config) are needed to make it work.
>
>Benoit PAPILLAULT, ISO guru

I am sorry, but I am not big linux crack and don't know how to figure out
which options actually are needed to make this work. But I can provide you
with the modules Knoppix loads (knoppix is able to read the cd-drive
perfectly).
lsmod in knoppix gives this results:

Module Size Used by
i830 69536 1
agpart 42724 11 (autoclean)
autofs4 8756 1
af_packet 13544 0 (autoclean)
i810_audio 25048 1
ac97_codec 11916 0 [i810_audio]
soundcore 3428 2 [i810_audio]
b44 14888 0
serial 52100 0 (autoclean)
mousedev 3832 1
hid 22564 0 (unused)
input 3168 0 [mousedev hid]
ds 6536 2
yenta_socket 9508 2
pcmcia_core 39840 0 [ds yenta_socket]
thermal 6724 0 (unused)
processor 9008 0 [thermal]
fan 1600 0 (unused)
button 2700 0
battery 5952 0
ac 1824 0
rtc 7036 0 (autoclean)
cloop 8740 2
sbp2 16396 1
ohci1394 22664 0 (unused)
ieee1394 183076 0 [sbp2 ohci1394]
usb-storage 61760 0 (unused)
usb-uhci 21644 0 (unused)
usbcore 57600 1 [hid usb-storage usb-hci]
ataraid 6180 0
ide-scsi 8816

Maybe this helped.
If you could point me to where I should start experimenting I would be glad
to help finding out how to make this work.

-Flintz