sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] unable to install sourcemage (no root)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Benoit PAPILLAULT <benoit.papillault AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] unable to install sourcemage (no root)
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:11:02 +0200

David Michael Leo Brown Jr. a écrit :
Hi there!

I recently received my new notebook and I am planing to install Sourcemage on
it. But sadly I am stuck quite at the beginning of the installation-process.
I boot from the CD with the newest image (9.3 i386), hit enter and then get to the initrd menu.
There I try "Continue booting" but then I receive this message: "Unable to boot
without a root"
I tried a older image (9.2 with 2.4 kernel) but this version even got my pc
crashed after saying something about beein unable to mount the cd-rom.
My laptop has only an external CD-drive which is connected via firewire.

Does anybody have an idea how I could solve this problem?
Thanks in advance

Well you can manually try to specify a root device in the initrd menu
you might have to go to a shell and see what's under /dev
I'm not familiar with firewire and what support is needed in the kernel
for it and if that support is available on the iso...

might need to file a bug to add that.

- David Brown

FireWire is not in the ISO kernel. If you wish to have it, please fill a bug (http://bugs.sourcemage.org) and tell us what kernel options (in .config) are needed to make it work.

Benoit PAPILLAULT, ISO guru