sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] "staging" grimoire instead of devel for development spells as opposed to WIP spells?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Mathieu L." <lejatorn AT smgl.homelinux.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] "staging" grimoire instead of devel for development spells as opposed to WIP spells?
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 09:45:27 +0100

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 08:11:45PM -0800, Andrew wrote:
<big snip>

> > One of the grand potentials of a source-based distro is that it allows
> > "release early/release often" to be true distribution-wide to the nth
> > degree. The kind of people that run this kind of distro generally want
> > their choice of when to upgrade a given spell, starting from the moment
> > it's reasonably available. Doing per-component tests and upgrades still
> > allows people to grab "today's stable grimoire" and pick their component
> > upgrades from there; doing biweekly cycles means they have to wait a while
> > between releases. It doesn't sound unreasonable to wait a little while,
> > but that will still cause most of the people that would use this kind of
> > distro to just end up living in test anyway. We can say "that's their
> > problem" but it means they'll start complaining about the exact same
> > things
> > that started this conversation still happening in test, and we'll be stuck
> > dealing with either more fixes or just the complaints there.
> >
> > Yes, people want to have their cake and eat it too, but isn't that why we
> > run Source Mage? :-)
>
> Well, I can tell you right now some people want bleeding edge, and some
> people want stable, and theres no way we're gonna get both at exactly the
> same time. The old devel/test/stable idea was basically to have a scale
> between stability and bleeding edgeness, but it just dont work that way,
> stable ends up just out of date.
>
> The latest/greatest release early/often notion is embedded in whats
> currently our test grimoire, or what would be known as "B" in my
> description. You (the user) can do selective upgrades of things you
> want, you get the latest greatest stuff and its released every 6 hours,
> and updates come in throughout the day.
>
> But theres also long since been a desire to not have to think about
> individual upgrades and wanting to just say "system-update" and have it
> all work. Its impossible to guarentee that everything will work in B,
> but in D we want to at least try and be able to guarentee that. We want
> to have a stable grimoire that as a whole is solid. The only way to do
> that is to test it as a whole, and that takes a non trivial amount of
> time, hence C.

Again, totally agreed here.
I threw this idea of a "really stable" grimoire because I realized that
some users don't care at all (and it's their very right) about the dev
process and all the probable issues and breaks on the road. Some are not
registered to the ml and don't come on the chan, and they expect smgl to
just work when they're updating stable, which is not always the case.

So, as truely as smgl is not meant for beginners, the fact is if this
distro keeps on growing we will get more of those users and we have to
account for that.
And I also concur on the fact that to achieve that, you need your stable
branch to be released as a whole, in a tarball, every once in a while;
and if the price to pay for that is slowing the pace of the releases
down a tad, then so be it.

<snip again>

Mathieu.

--
We are Microsoft. Linux is irrelevant.
Openness is futile. Prepare to be assimilated.