sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Automated ISO generation

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Automated ISO generation
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 18:41:31 -0800

Quoting Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>:
> On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 17:19:16 -0600 (CST)
> "David Kowis" <dkowis AT shlrm.org> wrote:
> > Question: The creation of this ISO doesn't affect the spells and such that
> > are on there already? I'm assuming that this is supposed to work without
> > affecting the box that's doing the generation. I seem to remember an
> > ability to change the INSTALL_ROOT or something that made it independant
> > of the stuff on the box.
>
> What we will have to do anyway is set up a chroot system on it,
> basically a full SMGL system. (without desktop and such stuff)
> This means we'll have a subdirectory somewhere that all ISO-related
> stuff sees as /, so without us forgetting to chroot or anything there
> shouldn't be anything that can happen to your data. Crashes shouldn't
> happen either.

Do the scripts use some directory (say /mnt/smgl) as their root "/" partition
or
do they go willy nilly across the system? Could the scripts either setup a
chroot environment to ISO_ROOT (default to /mnt/smgl or whatever) if it
doesn't
exist, and if it does exist skip the chroot-creation part, chroot in there,
and
start generating?

What I'm thinking is one would run `mk-smgl-iso [rootdir]` and the script
would
either use /mnt/smgl (as an example of a default ISO_ROOT) or set
ISO_ROOT=$rootdir and then go from there, doing the following:

1. Check if $ISO_ROOT is a chrootable environment
a) If not, generate a chrootable environment in $ISO_ROOT
b) If so, we're done for this step
2. Chroot to $ISO_ROOT
3. Bind /var/spool/sorcery to $ISO_ROOT/var/spool/sorcery, /proc to
$ISO_ROOT/proc, and /dev to $ISO_ROOT/dev
4. Start generating the ISO
5. Unbind everything and exit the chroot

Thanks for the work on this. :)

-sandalle