sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Automated ISO generation

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Automated ISO generation
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 00:58:06 +0100

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 17:19:16 -0600 (CST)
"David Kowis" <dkowis AT shlrm.org> wrote:
> Question: The creation of this ISO doesn't affect the spells and such that
> are on there already? I'm assuming that this is supposed to work without
> affecting the box that's doing the generation. I seem to remember an
> ability to change the INSTALL_ROOT or something that made it independant
> of the stuff on the box.

What we will have to do anyway is set up a chroot system on it,
basically a full SMGL system. (without desktop and such stuff)
This means we'll have a subdirectory somewhere that all ISO-related
stuff sees as /, so without us forgetting to chroot or anything there
shouldn't be anything that can happen to your data. Crashes shouldn't
happen either.

> > If there is another SMGL on the box
> > having a mount --bind /var/spool/sorcery /sub/system/var/spool/sorcery
> > will be helpful.
> If I can get some instructions on how to do such things, I can have it
> happen. I'll probably take an old 4gb drive and drop it in there for the
> ISO generation so that Partitions can be created in whatever way is best.

Sure, although as I said all we need is maybe 1-2 gig of HD space + somewhere
where we get the sources from. Nothing really matters if these 2 gig are
a seperate partition or just anything.

> On the same box that would be doing this generation, I've kept most of the
> sources to programs. It's my file server, so I almost never delete the
> source cache and I use Leapforward_URL from my other boxes to this one so
> that I don't waste the internet :) The box has Internet connectivity,
> obviously, so access to perforce is no big deal, i'd have to cast the
> p4client tho.

Okay, we might as well just cast p4client in the chroot.

> Its running 2.4.28 though, because there's no RAID drivers in 2.6 for my
> little onboard raid that I started using for my files. Is that going to be
> a problem? I don't remember if it's doing NPTL or not. I don't think so,
> IIRC that's specifically a 2.6 thing...?

Yeah, I don't think anything for the ISO really cares what kernel it is
running. And this devel ISO won't be really critical as to what software
is running on it anyway, it's meant for testing the scripts on the ISO.

Thanks again for volunteering,
So Far,
Karsten Behrmann