sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] glibc and mysql 4.1.7

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: Source Mage - Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] glibc and mysql 4.1.7
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 23:18:58 +0100

On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 05:26:46PM -0600, Robin Cook wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 09:59 +0100, Benoit PAPILLAULT wrote:
> > Eric Sandall a écrit :

> > This kind of fix is wrong from my point of view. glibc.p is something
> > that is not documented and which is "internal" to the sorcery api. What
> > was the exact reason that mysql does not detect ntpl? What happens if
> > you have compiled glibc without using sorcery?
>
> If something was done outside of sorcery then I can not be held
> responsible to determine what was done.
>
> Then it needs something else to test against to see if glibc was
> compiled with NPTL. The test that was there before was not working so
> this was the only thing I could think of to get it working.

*sigh*
The glibc people broke the way we detect NPTL glibc in the spells that
need to detect it. We used to do this:
if /lib/libc.so.6 | grep -q NPTL; then
fix spell for NPTL
fi

With the latest glibc snapshot in devel this is broken, as it doesn't
contain the string NPTL anymore:
arwed@Otherland:~$ /lib/libc.so.6
GNU C Library stable release version 2.3.3, by Roland McGrath et al.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Compiled by GNU CC version 3.4.2.
Compiled on a Linux 2.6.5 system on 2004-10-12.
Available extensions:
GNU libio by Per Bothner
crypt add-on version 2.1 by Michael Glad and others
Native POSIX Threads Library by Ulrich Drepper et al
BIND-8.2.3-T5B
NIS(YP)/NIS+ NSS modules 0.19 by Thorsten Kukuk
Thread-local storage support included.
<http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/bugs.html>.

In my opinion the best solution to this is to reverse your change to the
mysql spell and patch glibc to contain the string NPTL in that output.
I'm just glad we didn't integrate that glibc into test yet, it'll break
every spell that has to detect NPTL.
The other solution would be to grep for the new string instead, fixing
it in all spells. Though that would mean we would have to grep for both
strings, as people don't necessarily have the latest glibc snapshot
installed.
Opinions, Suggestions?