sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] bless and prometheus?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] bless and prometheus?
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 09:20:14 -0800

> In short, we have to grep every install log for .desktops and files in
> binary-folders. prometheus might be a big help in this task I think.
> another solution might be sharing install logs (section guru's may be a
> great help here). I don't consider casting all spells an option on my
> system, so is anyone running a prometheus system anywhere that could get
> these logs to us? does anybody know a more effecient way to gather these
> data?

Prometheus besides being heavily tied to cast's output (which changed and
made it less functional and a lot more dangerous to use on a real system),
is designed to find /untracked/ files, or files that are modified or
removed for no apparent reason. It does this by taking a time consuming
snapshot of everything on your system, then casting stuff, then taking
another snapshot, then comparing them and coming up with a list of new,
deleted, and modified files. Nevermind that it was actually designed to cast
spells from the ground up over and over again, not to iterate through the
grimoire conducting a survey :)

So long as a spell properly tracks all its files you just need to grep
install logs. I dont think its that big a deal to just plow through
the main sections and come up with the .desktop files. You could ask
for install logs for spells you dont have installed and go from there.

If you really want to use prometheus you're going to have to either learn
expect and fix it, or convince me to do it :)

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | |
|Sorcery Team Lead, Porting Team Lead | |
|Grimoire Guru ham/smgl | ftp://t.armory.com |
|Author and Maintainer of Prometheus | |