sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] glibc and mysql 4.1.7

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Benoit PAPILLAULT <benoit.papillault AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] glibc and mysql 4.1.7
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:49:37 +0100

Arwed von Merkatz a écrit :
Since you persist on your solution, here are few drawbacks:
- /lib is hardcoded. So this fix will not correctly work on bi-arch or multi-arch platform.

Then give me the info that's needed to make the function work on those.

Use getconf GNU_LIBPTHREAD_VERSION.

- libc.so.6 is hardcoded. So this fix might not work on all platforms.

It works on all platforms we have, otherwise someone would have filed a
bug about it much earlier, those checks have been there for over a year.

- hardcoded values are just leading to more bugs each time they changed.

That's why I made it a function, so it can easily be adjusted if it's
still needed when glibc changes again.

- I think it should be "if grep -q NTPL /lib/libc.so.6; then". This code does not work. You've never tested it (even if perforce is out of date, someone commited at one time a non working, non tested code).
So now, just tell me what's wrong with patching glibc and mysql spells (and other spells that might need it)? It's your turn :-)

Sorry here. I did not know that you can execute /lib/libc.so.6 (and a quick check on my debian system say that such file is not executable here). I did not know that executing /lib/libc.so.6 produces something (apparently it's configuration). It seems to be the same as getconf's output btw. Is there a place where this is documented btw?

Nothing is wrong with that, but fixing upstream software to work takes
time I don't have, and the way I did it works _now_. If someone takes
the time to fix the other software that needs the NPTL check right now
to work correctly (and sends that fix upstream), I'll happily remove the
function again.

I was just talking about existing patchs. And I thought reporting bugs and fixing upstream software was a lot better than making changes on the distro side (versus the upstream software side).

Benoit PAPILLAULT, ISO team