sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Marketing SMGL: Competitors and differences? Helpneeded

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: SourceMage GNU/Linux Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Marketing SMGL: Competitors and differences? Helpneeded
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 08:39:34 -0700

Quoting Jaanus Heeringson <jaanus AT heeringson.com>:
> Duane Malcolm wrote:
> > I also want to say the reason I tried sorcerer was because I wanted to
> > learn linux.
> >
> > Also I lost a potential sourcemage convert. He went to gentoo, I think
> > the reason is because he was attracted by the user-base, which I think
> > relates to his impression he'll get more help and support.
>
> Do we have any clue about the size of our userbase? Any download
> figures? Anything?

The forums[0] may be one indicator of userbase, though not everyone seems to
post there that has an account.

> > I'll confirm this. I ask a couple a gentoo users why they chose gentoo
> > over sourcemage. There choices were made before trying either
> > distributions. So clearly it doesn't matter how good your distribution
> > is but how good peoples impression of your distribution is.
>
> That is exactly the marketing 101. Impression. Unfotunetly the product
> don't need to be good, only look good to the consumers. Even I dispise
> selling crap by looks, and fortunetly this in not the case with SMGL.
> Sourcemage is good, and now we need to makit look so also. To be honest,
> If I didn't know SMGL in detail I probably also would choose Gentoo over it.

I heard of Sorcerer before Gentoo and so that's what got me hooked. And then
when I actually tried Gentoo, I was like, "WTH is this? Why doesn't it work
right? Where are my options?!" etc. ;)

> I highly doubt that current potential users make an informed descition
> to choose Gentoo over SMGL, mainly because we give such a poor first
> impression compared to Gentoo (and a lot of other distros). What we need
> to do is create an acceptable first impression so that the potential
> user/developer gets some facts before they turn away. By allowing the
> user make an informed descition we stand to gain a lot.

I believe Oadae and thewolf are working on revamping our page, but I'm not
sure
on their progress.

> > BTW, I do agree with the above quote and it'll be good if we get more
> > user and maintain the current type of community.
>
> That might also be a problem. A community changes when it grows. Any
> thoughts?

As long as the visible members seem to have the same community then the rest
of
the community will probably follow their lead, is my guess. People tend to
attract in like-minded groups so I don't think our community will be changing
very much in idealogy.

-sandalle

[0] http://forums.sourcemage.org/