sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Marketing SMGL: Competitors and differences? Helpneeded

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jaanus Heeringson <jaanus AT heeringson.com>
  • Cc: SourceMage GNU/Linux Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Marketing SMGL: Competitors and differences? Helpneeded
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:12:09 +0200

Duane Malcolm wrote:

Hi all,

I just got this quote from irc...
"<ner0x> I have to say out of all tye types of linux I've tried, this is the most helpful channel I've ever been in. All the other ones just ignore you and let you repeat your question a million time. So thanks everyone. :)"

Perfect, we need a couple of actual quotes. This and others like it should go on the front page!

I also want to say the reason I tried sorcerer was because I wanted to learn linux.

Also I lost a potential sourcemage convert. He went to gentoo, I think the reason is because he was attracted by the user-base, which I think relates to his impression he'll get more help and support.

Do we have any clue about the size of our userbase? Any download figures? Anything?

I'll confirm this. I ask a couple a gentoo users why they chose gentoo over sourcemage. There choices were made before trying either distributions. So clearly it doesn't matter how good your distribution is but how good peoples impression of your distribution is.

That is exactly the marketing 101. Impression. Unfotunetly the product don't need to be good, only look good to the consumers. Even I dispise selling crap by looks, and fortunetly this in not the case with SMGL. Sourcemage is good, and now we need to makit look so also. To be honest, If I didn't know SMGL in detail I probably also would choose Gentoo over it.

I highly doubt that current potential users make an informed descition to choose Gentoo over SMGL, mainly because we give such a poor first impression compared to Gentoo (and a lot of other distros). What we need to do is create an acceptable first impression so that the potential user/developer gets some facts before they turn away. By allowing the user make an informed descition we stand to gain a lot.

BTW, I do agree with the above quote and it'll be good if we get more user and maintain the current type of community.

That might also be a problem. A community changes when it grows. Any thoughts?

--
MVH

Jaanus Heeringson

Underwerks Design