sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] xmms-weasel spell

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Duane Malcolm <d.malcolm AT auckland.ac.nz>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] xmms-weasel spell
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 10:18:36 +1200

Hi all,

I was just reading gnome footnote and noticed a xmms plugin called weasel [0]:

"It automatically slides out XMMS from the screen if the mouse pointer leaves the XMMS window. As soon as the mouse pointer hits the screen edge, XMMS will slide back in."

There was also the following note:

"Please feel free to contribute packages for the various Linux distributions, *BSDs and - hum - is Solaris still around?"

So I written a spell for xmms-weasel and was planning to send it to the developer. But I thought I would check with you guys on a couple of things.

First, is everyone happy if I send the spell to them. I think it would be nice if the website has the spell. The pro's I can think of are:
1. It gives Sourcemage exposure.
2. Ideally, you'd have the developer update the spell, so if there are any build or installation problems they might fix them in the code.

The one problem I can think of is that the spell isn't associated with any grimoire. So you may get dependency version problems.

Secondly, if people are happy with submitting the spell to the developer then what extension do we put on a tarball/packaged spell. I was thinking xmms-weasel.smgl or xmms-weasel.spell. Or with versions, xmms-weasel-0.0.1.smgl or xmms-weasel-0.0.1.spell.

I think if we were quick in getting spells to projects it would be good. We have an advantage that it is quick and easy to write a spell that is not(?) platform dependent.

Any thoughts?

I had ideas of seeing if something similar could be done with www.happypenguin.org. If you had sourcemage spells for games with 4 starts or more. I wonder if we'd get exposure this way.

But I've been super busy and many science bugs to fix (sorry about that).

Cheers, Duane.

[0] http://xmms-weasel.sourceforge.net/