sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Automounters

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: evraire AT tuwg.com
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Automounters
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 12:42:36 -0600 (CST)

Using autofs here (enable autofs in kernel, cast autofs).

/etc/auto.master:
/mnt /etc/auto.mnt --timeout 10

/etc/auto.mnt:
cdrom -fstype=iso9660,ro,users :/dev/cdroms/cdrom0
memstick -fstype=vfat,rw,users,sync :/dev/sda1
usb -fstype=vfat,rw,users,sync :/dev/sdb1

Accessing /mnt/cdrom, /mnt/memstick or /mnt/usb triggers the automount. It
is automatically unmounted after the timeout (10 seconds in this case).
The two vfat mounts actually have more options to force certain file
permissions: noexec,umask=000,fmask=111

Unfortunately, handling various hot-pluggable devices is a pain right now.
Depending on the order they are connected or their modules or inserted,
the /dev/sd* entries will be different. In my configuration, my memstick
mount is always /dev/sda1 (built into laptop). The usb mount works for any
of the usb-storage devices I plug in (Neuros, camera, etc).

-casey