sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Ridding ourselves of aliens!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Ridding ourselves of aliens!
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 00:14:19 +0200

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 04:04:20PM -0500, Casey Harkins wrote:

> Sorry for this somewhat long message to ask just a few questions...
>
> I'm working on automatically assembling the basesystem. This will happen
> by calculating the dependencies of basesystem, then continuing to
> recursively calculate dependencies until all have been found. This list is
> then sorted and duplicates are removed. The current basesystem meta-spell
> does not include everything however, so I'll need to add to this another
> list of spells (gcc, make, etc.) which should probably be added to the
> basesystem meta-spell.
>
> Anyway, I was worried that their are some alien files that need to make it
> into the basesystem, so I've been looking through the list from 'gaze
> alien'. Ideally, these files should all be tracked by spells, however they
> could be added through an extra includes list for my purposes.
>

> /etc:
> Much of the /etc directory will need to be included and I'm planning on
> creating a spell to create these files if they don't exist, and touch them
> if they do (to make sure installwatch catches them). Is there an LSB
> standard for what belongs in /etc?
>

> /usr/include/c++/{3.2|3.2.1}:
> The directories /usr/include/c++/3.2 and /usr/include/c++/3.2.1 are both
> considered aliens (along with their contents) due to installwatch not
> catching these upon installation. However, the gcc 3.2.2 spell does track
> its /usr/include/c++/3.2.2 directory. Since the basesystem will include
> gcc 3.2.2 or any future versions of gcc which will hopefully be able to
> track their files correctly, I'm assuming its safe to exclude these from
> the basesystem. Does anyone disagree?

Exclude them, gcc used to have some problems with installwatch, so those
files didn't get tracked.

> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.1:
> This should be safe to remove.
Should be caused by the same thing.

> /usr/lib/locale:
> Where do the locale files come from?
They come from glibc iirc, not sure why they aren't tracked.

> /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/:
> Most of this directory is not tracked by perl. Can we fix the perl spell
> to track them? Dufflebunk: what was the function for manually tracking a
> file?
>

> /usr/info/*.bz2
> /usr/man/*/*.bz2:
> These are currently installed from the image.tar.bz2 on the installation
> iso, but spells are installing their own info and man pages without
> compressing them. I'll exclude these, however, maybe we can get sorcery to
> compress man pages and info pages automatically after a spell is installed
> and update its install log.
>

> /usr/include/security:
> There are some pam headers in here, but I don't have pam installed.
> Are these installed by Linux-PAM? Is it safe to exclude them since the
> basesystem will not have PAM?
>

> /usr/bin/gasp:
> This is the "GNU assembler pre-processor". Where did it come from?
>

> /usr/lib/ldscripts:
> Not sure where these are from either?
>

> /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so.*
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libXrender.so.*:
> I wonder why these aren't being tracked? Not really an issue for what I'm
> working on now, however, it may be an issue when I start working on
> creating livecd's using this (or a releated) script.

Those should now belong to xfree86 (4.3.0), they used to belong to other
spells, maybe that's why they aren't tracked on your system.

--
Arwed v. Merkatz
Grimoire Guru for video
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 23:04:50 -0500 (CDT)
From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
To: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, Arwed von Merkatz wrote:
> > /usr/include/c++/{3.2|3.2.1}:
> Exclude them, gcc used to have some problems with installwatch, so those
> files didn't get tracked.

Thats what I figured.

> > /usr/lib/locale:
> > Where do the locale files come from?
> They come from glibc iirc, not sure why they aren't tracked.

I'll investigate it.

> > /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/:
> > Most of this directory is not tracked by perl. Can we fix the perl spell
> > to track them? Dufflebunk: what was the function for manually tracking a
> > file?

I found the function in the sm-grimoire archives, it is called
'track_manual'. I'll see if I can fix the perl spell.

> > /usr/bin/gasp:
> > This is the "GNU assembler pre-processor". Where did it come from?

Turns out this used to be part of binutils, but it was removed sometime
in January I believe.

> > /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so.*
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/libXrender.so.*:
> > I wonder why these aren't being tracked? Not really an issue for what I'm
> > working on now, however, it may be an issue when I start working on
> > creating livecd's using this (or a releated) script.
>
> Those should now belong to xfree86 (4.3.0), they used to belong to other
> spells, maybe that's why they aren't tracked on your system.

I'll have to look into this further as well.

-casey