sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Anti-Aliasing woes

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Anti-Aliasing woes
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 20:25:58 +0200

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 12:57:56PM -0500, Spencer Ogden wrote:
> Well, I thought this was a solved problem, and it is on my desktop. I
> recently did a new installation on my laptop. I have a basic KDE up and
> running now, but I can't get any anti-aliasing.
>
> I have freetype2 installed and tried compiling with and with out the
> bytecode interpreter. I am pretty sure I have the same stuff installed on
> my desktop and laptop, and yet, one has AA and the other doesn't.
>
> Is there something I did, some configuration, that I can't remember that is
> neccessary? I am using all TTF fonts and have anti-aliasing turned on in
> the KDE control panels.
>
> Some inconsistencies I just noticed. My desktop indicates that Xft2 is
> installed, but there is no XftConfig file. Also I have a font server on my
> desktop, but not on my laptop. My laptop does have and XftConfig file.
The XftConfig file is for the old Xft1, with XFree 4.3, it's obsolete.
Font configuration for Xft is done through /etc/fonts/fonts.conf, that
should normally be set to sane defaults, but you may want to look if
the directory containing your truetype fonts is listed there.

The following is for the devel grimoire:
Also, the xfree spell had the problem that it installed the .pc files in
the wrong directory, look if you have a /usr/lib/pkgconfig/xft.pc, if
not, copy the xft.pc file from /usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig there.

After that you need to recompile qt-x11 so it gets compiled with Xft
support.

The stable grimoire still relies on the seperate Xft2 and Xrender
spells, although those are now included in xfree. You can either cast
Xft2 and recast qt-x11, or copy the xft.pc file as i stated above and
modifiy the qt-x11 BUILD file to add -xft to the configure call.
I would recommend the second option, since the Xft2 Xft1 and Xrender
spells will be removed from the stable grimoire too.

> Am I over looking something? Is a font server neccessary?
A font server isn't necessary.

--
Arwed v. Merkatz
Grimoire Guru for video
From: Spencer Ogden <spencero AT mail.utexas.edu>
To: SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 13:43:50 -0500

On Tuesday 08 April 2003 01:25 pm, Arwed von Merkatz wrote:
> or copy the xft.pc file as i stated above and
> modifiy the qt-x11 BUILD file to add -xft to the configure call.
> I would recommend the second option, since the Xft2 Xft1 and Xrender
> spells will be removed from the stable grimoire too.

xft.pc file appears to be in the correct place. However, your mention of X
4.3 reminded me, I think I had an old version of the grimoire when I cast
X, so I have 2.2 installed. I'll install 2.3 and hopefully that will do
the trick.

Spencer
From: Spencer Ogden <spencero AT mail.utexas.edu>
To: SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 14:22:29 -0500

So I think I was just behind the times in some packages, but things look
good now.

What do people think about sub pixel rendering? How do you determine which
order the pixels are in? The discoloration seems distracting to me, should
it be noticable? This is supposed to be used on LCDs right?

Spencer
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 14:07:11 -0500
From: Joel Sinor <jsinor AT comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] First install problems (second part)
To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

I had the same problem, but I have a theory on it. In my case, I compiled my
network drivers into the kernel (in fact I compiled everything into the
kernel with no modules) but the configurer wants a module. I think that the
default kernel probably did not support my network card (Realtek 8100L) so
when you are at that point in the install, unless you load a module it will
not see the network card. It is only my theory this is the reason it did not
configure it, and I have yet to get round to testing it, but I think this has
something to do with it.
Thankfully SGL came with a fully-featured lo.dev and the rc*.d scripts were
easy to read and understand, so it was pretty simple to copy lo.dev to
eth0.dev and edit it to get the right config.

Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 16:41:30 -0400
From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT optimaltec.com>
To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: [SM-Discuss] cvs annotate in p4?

Hi!

I'm trying to track a function call in sorcery,
private_remove_dependees, and something like `cvs annotate' but in
Perforce would help to find out when and by whom it was coded. I didn't
find this in the Web interface at http://www.smee.org:8080/ and in `p4
help commands', so I'm asking here. Help please?
Thanks!

Sergey.