sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Future source repository

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergeyli AT pisem.net>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Future source repository
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 00:32:25 -0500

Hi All,

Adding to the urgent migration away from CVS, I wanted to suggest evaluating Subversion. I'm willing to perform the setup and customize all the commit scripts as necessary. There are two options: I may have time and energy to persuade my management to allow our repository to remain on our server (which will also mean Bugzilla, ViewSVN - a ViewCVS for Subversion, beautiful Horde/IMP webmail for gurus, and hot cocoa every morning... maybe :-) ), and setup the project. That was option number one, not realistic for at least two weeks. Another option is that I can setup Subversion on a system having an Apache 2.0.44 and some libraries, and a local SMTP gateway for diff messages, provided that I haveSSH access, if such system will be provided by someone else.
To temper your skepticism, please have a closer look at the Subversion's list of active public repositories here: http://subversion.tigris.org/svn-repositories.html. Many of these projects accumulated sufficient knowledge of how to deal with Subversion in a production environment, notably the "IEEE 1394 for Linux" project http://www.linux1394.org/, which includes one of the Subversion developers (or Subversion includes one of the Linux1394 developers, your call). Practical advice on Subversion can be found here: http://www.linux1394.org/svn.html, and a big book of advice is here: http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=256.
Be judgemental but technical in your feedback ;-), thank you very much!

Sergey.