sm-discuss - Re[2]: [SM-Discuss] Versioned dependencies

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Mark Andrews <msasgl AT msa-enterprises.com>
  • To: Source Mage - Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re[2]: [SM-Discuss] Versioned dependencies
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 11:05:39 +0000

>>We (the Source Mage Leaders) are working on preliminary discussions about
>>this
>>very subject... don't worry, it will come out at the right time and when we
>>

SAL> No offense, but may I ask you to make this work and "leadership
SAL> discussions" public? I'm not aware that anybody is in preliminary
SAL> discussions about anything. Thanks!

I agree with Sergey.. No more secrets.. In the developer meeting log
it mentions "our sourcemage" and "their sourcemage" I wasn't even
aware that there were factions! So am I an "us", or a "them"?

As far as versioned dependencies go, the best solution I've come up
with is to add a RELEASED field to DETAILS. This would store the code
release date in ISO8601 format. Any dependancies could then refer to
this source code date and thus we don't need to worry about handling
strange version numbers. Means we can even do dependancies on patch
and cvs releases.

But this then causes problems with things like the linux spell which
can install different versions. Still, it seems the most efficient way
to handle this.

--
Best regards,
Mark mailto:msasgl AT msa-enterprises.com