pleurothallid-l - Re: [pleurothallid-l] Masdevallia niesseniae

  • From: mhach@ix.netcom.com
  • To: lthoerle@alumni.uchicago.edu, pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pleurothallid-l] Masdevallia niesseniae
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 14:37:58 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Lisa-

This "species" does have the ability to bloom with more than one flower per
peduncle. I firmly believe that M.niesseniae is actually Masd.Oriole
(vietch.x.reichenbachiana) they have exactly the same flower, growth habit
and bloom simultaneously in my collection and are indestinquishable when
placed side by side. My plants of M.niesseniae came from Andrea Niessen and
Lynn so I am pretty confident that I have "the real thing". I know of no
other species in the coccinea section (which it supposedly belongs to) that
has that ability.
The only way we will know for absolute is if we can have some DNA work done
on the plant. It appears to me that there are several possible hybrids
(natural or otherwise) that have been recently described as species - very
similar to the problems that have occurred in the genus Dracula over the
years.
Sincerely
Marc
NJ USA