pleurothallid-l - [pleurothallid-l] FW: Lights

  • From: "Lynn O'Shaughnessy" <freespirit@pleurothallids.com>
  • To: <pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pleurothallid-l] FW: Lights
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 19:32:21 -0400

From: Gerard Brender `a Brandis [mailto:gerardbab@cyg.net]
Sent: Sunday, June 18, 2006 4:02 PM
To: Lynn O'Shaughnessy
Subject: Lights

What's  your experience with:

Last fall I moved from the house, where I had been growing orchids in a window greenhouse window, to a heritage house (1866) with small windows, and being  a designated heritage building, I am not allowed to make changes that would affect the exterior appearance of the house -- no adding a greenhouse window. My larger plants got shelves in front of an east facing window and the smaller ones put into a "snake box" (terrarium with sliding front doors designed for reptile pets) with three fluorescent tubes above it. Things looked good until the warm weather began. It's just much too warm for pleurothallids in there. Does anyone know anything about growing  under LED lights which are supposed to give off good spectrum light and produce very little heat? How far from the lights can the plants be? Do they come in a form one could arrange above a terrarium 12 inches by 36 inches? Are there better/worse brands or types for this purpose? Is there anything else about these lights I should be asking?

Gerard Brender `a Brandis,

Stratford, Ontario.