pleurothallid-l - Re: [pleurothallid-l] FW: Lights

  • From: "Colleen" <colleenbevans@wowway.com>
  • To: <pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pleurothallid-l] FW: Lights
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 07:35:07 -0400

Hi, I grow in Orchidariums(c). I use one 55 watt biaxial fixture with 4 bulbs. This is alot more light than most pleuros need. The lights arew separated from the tank by a sheet of plexiglass (luann). In addition, I blow a fan (clip-on) across the top of the tank. The temps INSIDE the case are typically 7-10 degrees above ambient room temperature. I have one case in the basement-high temp about 75 degrees in summer, and one in a main floor bedroom.  The case on the main floor is cooled with central air conditioning (70 degrees) and has an additional window air unit which cools the room further (I keep the door to the room closed). I live in michigan...in fall, winter and spring...I crack open a window to let cool air in...
So the answer for me has been to cool the room. I'm not familiar with LED lights...but you can view this entire setup I use at Orchidarium.com. As a side note: Your Pleuros will withstand higher temps through summer if you keep the humidity >85%.