pleurothallid-l - [pleurothallid-l] Self- Cross pollination and protandry

  • From: Raymond L.Tremblay <raymond@hpcf.upr.edu>
  • To: pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pleurothallid-l] Self- Cross pollination and protandry
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 13:51:34 -0400

Hello to all.

I'd like some information from anyone who has any and that are willing to share. I'm writing a paper at the moment in which I describe protandry in three species of Lepanthes from Puerto Rico. Protandry is the process by which flowers mature from being at the male phase and then become female. in other words, in this case I show that flowers of Lepanthes rubripetala, L. rupestris and L. woodburyana have very low fruit set when flowers are one to five day old, while if flowers are six or more days old fruit set goes up (the probaility of setting a fruit). These species of Lepanthes are also self-incompatible, this means that if you use pollen from the same plant to pollinate it it will not produce a fruit.

Now I was wondering about the other sister genera to Lepanthes, Lepanthopsis and Frondaria, if anyone had done some pollinations in these species (self and cross) and if flower age had any effect. I'd also be interested in any other information from any other group of Pleurothallidinea you may have in regards to these parameters of pollination.

Thanks to all of you.

Raymond

Raymond Tremblay
University of Puerto Rico
Humacao campus
Humacao, PR, 00791
raymond@hpcf.upr.edu

  • [pleurothallid-l] Self- Cross pollination and protandry, Raymond L . Tremblay, 08/13/2004