pleurothallid-l - [pleurothallid-l] Questions

  • From: Gail Southwick <gsouthwick@yahoo.com>
  • To: pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pleurothallid-l] Questions
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 11:03:16 -0700 (PDT)

As I warned in my introduction, I have many questions- here come the first few.

My situation:
Currently my pleuro alliance plants are in a 29 gallon aquarium. (30"x12" by 18"H).  I have 2 cpu fans ( each is 2"sq) suspended at different heights but facing the same direction. I have an ultrasonic fogger in a resevoir.  The temp stays under 80, but I do not currently have the 15-10 degree drop. I will have as the colder weather comes. I do have a compact florescent over the top, but think that I will have to replace that with a 24" florescent or 2. Most of the top is covered with clear vinyl, I always leave at least a 1" x12" section open. When I do that, the humidity remains in the 90s with only running the fogger a few times a day, for just a few minutes. If I open the other end by the same dimensions, the rh dips to the 70 and 80s and I have to use the fogger a bit more. I have switched to distilled water within the past 2 weeks.

A few problems:
The pots seem to dry out quickly in spite of the 90%+ rh, a few good looking spikes just suddenly turned brown and dried up.
A few leaves are yellowing.

Questions:
 What rh should I shoot for?
Why are some leaves yellowing?
How can I cool the unit- esp. interested to learn if one of those thermoeletric coolers would help in this situation.

Thanks,
Gail

Do you Yahoo!?