person_county_beekeepers_association - [PCBA] Fwd: Wolfpack's Waggle April 2015

  • From: Mary Deitz <mdeitz625 AT gmail.com>
  • To: LIST SERV <Person_County_Beekeepers_Association AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [PCBA] Fwd: Wolfpack's Waggle April 2015
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 13:51:38 -0400

FYI
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Tarpy <drtarpy AT me.com>
Date: Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 1:41 PM
Subject: Wolfpack's Waggle April 2015
To: David Tarpy <drtarpy AT ncsu.edu>

Hi everyone,

Happy new year to all from the NC State Apiculture Program! You can now access our latest issue of the our program's newsletter, the Wolfpack's Waggle, which can also be found as usual through:

April is always the busiest month of the year for us. The semester is wrapping up, grant writing is at its height, the BEES network and Queen & Disease Clinic have their highest traffic, and the summer research season is already in full swing. At last count, we have no fewer than 33 different experiments that we’re actively working on. Some of the larger projects are using in vitro rearing to quantify the genomics of “queenliness” (spearheaded by Mike Simone-Finstrom), studying the disease ecology and immunology of social and native bees (spearheaded by Margarita Lopez-Uribe), measuring the oxidative stress of migratory bees and developing RNAi methods in bees (spearheaded by Hongmei Li-Byarlay), and elucidating the collective decision-making process of queen rearing (spearheaded by James Withrow). Margie and Deniz have been making huge strides in the lab on updating our viral screenings, as well as several other techniques (e.g., new DNA/RNA extraction protocols, estimating queen mating number by directly genotyping sperm, etc…). Looks like it’ll be another productive summer!

I hope everyone else has been having a great bee season so far! Sincerely, David

David R. Tarpy
Professor and Extension Apiculturist
Department of Entomology, Campus Box 7613
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC  27695-7613
Join the new Beekeeper Education & Engagement System (BEES)Like us on FaceBook
Follow us on Twitter (@NCSUApiculture)

  • [PCBA] Fwd: Wolfpack's Waggle April 2015, Mary Deitz, 04/10/2015