permaculture - [permaculture] Rebuilding or making soil

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: William E Dellinger <hunger@hunger.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Rebuilding or making soil
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 14:47:38 -0500

Hello all,

I have questions regarding a plan for rebuilding or even creating soil.

My farm is of the Ozarks type, in central Missouri. In some areas there is no topsoil, and the remainder has very little. The place was probably wore out by the time of the American Civil War (1861) and was cleared of timber to sell to the steamboat lines goingup and down the Missouri River. Thereafter it was farmed and for the last 20 years it was leased out and had corn planted every year.

Efforts to rebuild have been tough and usually unsuccessful. A thick coat of common fescue covers everything. The soil is so poor that clover will not grow, and the fescue takes the water.

So, inputs may be needed to jump start a legume, etc. I am vegan and we don't raise livestock. The only organic material available (20 miles ) is sawdust from Amish mills, including oak and walnut in the sawing operation.

I've made money in years past by using two large greenhouses for raising tomato, pepper and herb starts for farmer's markets.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Bill in Missouri, and yes I do read these emails!