permaculture - [permaculture] A short break with art some may enjoy (Tibetan Thangkas)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] A short break with art some may enjoy (Tibetan Thangkas)
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 17:47:17 -0700

(partly just to keep mostly on topic posts flowing to this PC list)
I took these photos of two Tibetan Thangkas a 60's pioneer gave me in the
hopes of finding out something about their origin:
This art is at the core of Tibetan culture which surrounds permaculture as
practiced in that country:
for those who think of Permaculture and The Three Ethics as a science
bordering on religion:
The duality of Tibetan Buddhism <<<--->>> Tibetan Permaculture
[image: Copy of 20201002_133421.jpg]
[image: Thangka.jpg]
Here is one of my recent pencil drawings. I started doing these for their
value as inspiration for landscape designs even though they were abstract.
I think of them as bird's eye views of a well planned garden. The shapes
suggest forms for ornamental plantings. Now, instead of landscape design
I would use these to suggest ideas for permaculture site designs, combining
ecological and microclimate niches, edge zones, PC Zones, site topology,
earthworks,
permanent plantings, water movement, primary site features, plant
succession zones, open and understory, gardens and farm cropping.
[image: PencilDrawing-01.jpg]
And a photo I took of an antique pitcher in a log cabin I and my pioneer
friend shared in 1961:
[image: vaseataardvark.jpg]

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.