permaculture - Re: [permaculture] More abuse of of what Permaculture is not

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] More abuse of of what Permaculture is not
  • Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2016 18:43:11 -0500

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 4:48 PM, Georg Parlow <g.parlow@gmx.at> wrote:

> > http://permaculturenews.org/2016/12/05/implementing-
> aquaponics-permaculture/ <http://permaculturenews.org/
> 2016/12/05/implementing-aquaponics-permaculture/>
> This is a lousy article IMHO.
>

> > Aquaponics is not a natural system.
>
> Give us a break, Steve. We have been down this lane too often already.
> Further "discussions" would be an attempt of mutual evangelism.
>
> Recently I researched the idea of peeponics - the day’s pee of an adult
> can feed about 3m2 of densely plantet vegiebeds. How is that for a closed
> cycle?

I save all my urine and put it on a compost pile along with lumps of
biochar. Before use on the garden months down the road
I will take a small electric tiller and homogenize all the materials,
before application on raised beds, rendering the charcoal into small
pieces. Where do I get my biochar? From my woodstove. Pine produces a lot
of it, hardwood, not as much. Each morning I transfer the charcoal and
ashes to a large metal bin with holes on the sodes near the bottom.. I then
use a garden hose with jet nozzle to separate the charcoal from the ashes
which flow out the holes. I then transfer the biochar with some ashes to
the compost pile. I have a large rectangular plastic stock tank filled
with water with cattails and duckweed growing in it. I could periodically
harvest the duckweed to put on the compost pile. The water itself would be
goor to irrigate crops with.

About the aquaponics system. The nutrient rich water in the system will
have been purified by beneficial microorganisms in the root zones of the
plants which themselves absorb the nutrients. The bioremediated water then
can be returned to the aquaculture system. This would be ideal if both
systems were in the same building or greenhouse.

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lfljvenaura@gmail.com