permaculture - [permaculture] NEW BOOK/The Local Food Revolution How Humanity Will Feed Itself in Uncertain Times Author: Michael Brownlee

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network <lakinroe@silcom.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] NEW BOOK/The Local Food Revolution How Humanity Will Feed Itself in Uncertain Times Author: Michael Brownlee
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 20:14:55 -0800

Author: Michael Brownlee
http://www.northatlanticbooks.com/shop/the-local-food-revolution/
<http://www.northatlanticbooks.com/shop/the-local-food-revolution/>
Demonstrating that humanity faces an imminent and prolonged global food
crisis, Michael Brownlee issues a clarion call and manifesto for a
revolutionary movement to localize the global food supply. He lays out a
practical guide for those who hope to navigate the challenging process of
shaping the local or regional food system, providing a roadmap for embarking
on the process of righting the profoundly unsustainable and already-failing
global industrialized food system. Written to inform, inspire, and empower
anyone—farmers or ranchers, community gardeners, aspiring food entrepreneurs,
supply chain venturers, commercial food buyers, restaurateurs, investors,
community food activists, non-profit agencies, policy makers, or local
government leaders—who hopes to be a catalyst for change, this book provides
a blueprint for economic action, with specific suggestions that make the
process more conscious and deliberate.

Brownlee, cofounder of the nonprofit Local Food Shift Group, maps out the
underlying process of food localization and outlines the route that
communities, regions, and foodsheds often follow in their efforts to take
control of food production and distribution. By sharing the strategies that
have proven successful, he charts a practical path forward while indicating
approaches that otherwise might be invisible and unexplored. Stories and
interviews illustrate how food localization is happening on the ground and in
the field. Essays and thought-pieces explore some of the challenging ethical,
moral, economic, and social dilemmas and thresholds that might arise as the
local food shift develops. For anyone who wants to understand, in concrete
terms, the unique challenges and extraordinary opportunities that present
themselves as we address one of the most urgent issues of our time, The Local
Food Revolution is an indispensable resource.

“This is the local food book that needed to be written. As Brownlee so
chillingly details, our globalized food system is in crisis. Food scarcity
looms in the all-too-near future. If we’re to continue getting square meals
three times a day, we too need to join this quest to localize our food
supply.” —Tim Rinne, state coordinator, Nebraskans for Peace; cofounder,
Hawley Hamlet Community Garden; and charter member, Lincoln-Lancaster Food
Policy Council

“The Local Food Revolution is a must-read for anyone who is concerned about
the current state of the industrial, global food system and who asks, ‘What
can I do to help awaken my foodshed?’” —Veronica House, PhD, associate
faculty director for service-learning and outreach, University of Colorado,
Boulder

“What begins as Michael Brownlee’s own journey from concerned activist to
community catalyst becomes a handbook for ‘deep revolution,’ with local and
regional food systems at the center of it all. For those concerned that
change is not enough, he offers not just a revolutionary call to action, but
also a new path forward.” —Philip Ackerman-Leist, professor of sustainable
agriculture and food systems, Green Mountain College, Vermont, and author of
Rebuilding the Foodshed

“Mixing history and philosophy with a hopeful yet realistic call to action,
Michael Brownlee’s profound work demands immediate attention. One of the
single most important elements of our fate as a species is the state of our
global food system grid as it exists in small local equations. Brownlee gives
us the perfect opportunity and the tools to once and for all solve for x. The
Local Food Revolution is the blueprint for the future wellness of our
planetary community.”
—Daniel Asher, executive chef, River and Woods and co-chair, Chefs
Collaborative/Colorado

“Michael Brownlee’s book is a wide-ranging discussion from his early
recognition of the changes affecting our planet and his important, ongoing
identification of and engagement with ideas and models from influential
leaders, thinkers, and movers (of which he is one). Rather than just observe
and report, he is a leader who participates, implements, tests, and catalyzes
emerging ideas and concepts. This book is an inspiration to anyone who feels
our problems are too big to address and that we can't do anything; they
aren’t, and we can.”
—Jack Round, Transition Omaha, Let’s Eat Investment Group

“The multi-layered global crisis, and in particular, abrupt climate change,
demand nothing less than a local food revolution that reaches far beyond
farmers markets and buying local. Every human life going forward depends on a
radical transformation of our relationship with food and how we provide it
for our communities. Michael Brownlee maps this revolution with laser
clarity. If you eat, you must read this book.”
—Carolyn Baker, PhD, author of Love In The Age of Ecological Apocalypse and
Collapsing Consciously

“Few evolutionary catalysts see the nexus between local food systems and deep
cultural transformation with the clarity of Michael Brownlee. Want to find
the connections between Thomas Paine, Christopher Alexander, and the organic
farmer down the street? They are here for you in this book.”
—Woody Tasch, founder of Slow Money and author of Inquiries into the Nature
of Slow Money

“As humankind moves towards an uncertain future facing issues related to
climate change, water quantity/quality, healthy soil for food production, and
more food-resilient communities, The Local Food Revolution provides a road
map for those brave enough to embark on its bold manifesto. An early food
system pioneer who catalyzed evolutionary change and helped revolutionize the
future of local food for Colorado, Michael Brownlee provides a direct and
biting reflection on what it will take to revolutionize our local food system
while meeting the difficult food demands forecast for our future. His
insights and recommendations are well-researched, thoughtful, and brutally
honest.”
—Rusty Collins, Denver County Director, Colorado State University Extension

“Michael Brownlee raises this ‘call to farms’ (local of course) to inspire an
urgently needed revolution in our food system. The urgency is born of
declining resources and increasingly disruptive climate change. He gives this
call an evolutionary context: every collapse is followed by an emergence of
something completely new. He envisions foodsheds that are regional,
regenerative and restorative, in stark contrast to the rapacious industrial
food system. He invites us to ‘bring food home again’ as ‘a choice for life
itself.’ Stories of pioneers revolutionizing all facets of emerging foodsheds
are a real treasure. Learn from Michael’s decade of experience cultivating a
‘local food shift’ in Colorado to empower food localization wherever you
are.”
—Janaia Donaldson, Peak Moment Television

“This book needs to be widely read by those in the local food movement.
Michael Brownlee explains the local food revolution as emerging from an
evolutionary shift in ethical and cultural values occurring at the deepest
levels of human consciousness, a ‘deep revolution.’ He provides a wealth of
philosophical insights and practical information about how to be an effective
‘evolutionary catalyst’ but stresses that deep revolutions arise from within
and must be nurtured rather than developed. The local food revolution can
only be sustained by a spiritual reawakening to the inherent sacredness of
food and farming.”
—John Ikerd, professor emeritus of agricultural economics, University of
Missouri, Columbia, MO and author of The Essentials of Economic
Sustainability, Sustainable Capitalism, and Crisis and Opportunity

“For those of us weighed down with concern for our children’s prospects for a
safe and abundant life, The Local Food Revolution provides a high-minded but
thoroughly practical primer on how to get started, now, to change that doubt
into hope. This book will be recognized as a classic reference that every
food activist will keep near at hand for centuries to come.”
—Alan Lewis, Government Affairs and Food and Agriculture Policy, Natural
Grocers

“Telling a personal journey of transitioning to local food as
calling—intense, deep, and transforming—this book holds an important place
for those currently involved in localizing foodsheds, and helps us all
understand the urgency of saving and re-vitalizing our food systems locally.”
—Nanna Meyer, PhD, associate professor of health sciences, University of
Colorado, Colorado Springs

“Few people in the world have thought longer and deeper about the local food
revolution than Michael Brownlee. In a journey reminiscent of Zen and the Art
of Motorcycle Maintenance, Brownlee traces the evolution of his work in
Colorado and the evolution of his thinking about the movement’s global
importance. He reveals himself to be as much a philosopher as a practitioner,
with provocative, invaluable, and entertaining insights for anyone who wants
to reshape his or her own community.”
—Michael H. Shuman, community economist and author of The Local Economy
Solution

“Buckminster Fuller could have written the preface to The Local Food
Revolution: “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To
change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
A deep bow to Michael Brownlee, who is serving as a lead catalyst and
synthesizer of this new model. Join the emerging global awakening to beat the
clock of mass extinction.”
—John Steiner and Margo King, transpartisan/sacred activists

  • [permaculture] NEW BOOK/The Local Food Revolution How Humanity Will Feed Itself in Uncertain Times Author: Michael Brownlee, Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network, 11/14/2016