permaculture - Re: [permagriculture] Plant lists for the tropics + comment on go

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Stephen Sherman <spsherm@msn.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permagriculture] Plant lists for the tropics + comment on go
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 16:59:09 -0600

What I mean by plant location is the class of GMO plants which produce their own insecticide systemically. Bt corn as an example:

Bt was/is an approved organic insecticide. Before GMO corn it was sprayed on and would eventually wash off. With the variants of Bt GMO corn however, all cells in the corn plant make Bt, including the parts which humans and animals eat. Traces of the Bt toxin can now be found in most Americans and in infant amniotic fluid. I have not heard of any studies, but I suspect the same would be true of the animals fed this corn. This GMO crop has taken a relatively safe insecticide which was applied only to the exterior of the plant, and make it systemic throughout the plant. Cannot be washed off or peeled off.

There is no recognition that changing the delivery mechanism of an insecticide has the potential to change exposure amounts and whether or not it is still safe. As we have seen, it certainly changes its distribution and accumulation in the animals (including humans) which eat that crop.