permaculture - Re: [permagriculture] Plant lists for the tropics + comment on go

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permagriculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permagriculture] Plant lists for the tropics + comment on go
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 16:15:39 -0400

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 2:37 PM, Stephen Sherman <spsherm@msn.com> wrote:

> Number 3 is probably the biggest red flag for what has currently been done
> with GMOs. Ignoring the unanswered questions about the safety of the
> methodology and long term consequences of the new features, industry has
> mostly used this technology to increase sales of their herbicides and
> generate internal insecticides; which has led to increased use and human
> exposure to these chemicals, with little or no regard for their safety and
> the consequences of increased use in the biosphere of these toxins.

I have read that the revolving door in the best government money can buy
has led to instant approval of GM O's ag industry seeks to
manufacture and deploy into the environment. Of course approval of the
methods and materials used to grow these GM O's has already been granted as
a standard turnkey component of large scale farming. Lack of adequate and
effective testing of these GM O's means that
they are introduced onto farmland and adjoining lands with absolutely no
idea of the long term effects on human health from GM O food consumption,
contact with the GM O and any chemicals used to produce it, one of which is
cancer from the herbicide glyphosate and Roundup, and unavoidable
significant adverse environmental consequences.
><
Father Daniel Berrigan, Jesuit priest, peace activist and poet, gave the
world’s shortest graduation address at Xavier High School in New York:
“Know where you stand and stand there.”
><
LL

--