permaculture - Re: [permaculture] garlic and butter deficiency."

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Alia Tsang <alia@dietrick.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] garlic and butter deficiency."
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 06:52:50 +0000

On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 11:07 PM, Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 4:07 PM, christopher nesbitt <
> christopher.nesbitt@mmrfbz.org> wrote:
>
> > The butter and garlic is a reference to eating the snails.
> >

> How many species of snails are edible?

I'm not sure exactly, but I do know that the brown garden snail (Helix
aspersa aka Cornu aspersum) was introduced around the world as a food
animal. The story I heard was that a French chef brought it with him to
California around 1850 with the idea of selling escargot to the miners
during the gold rush, but it never caught on. It looks like it was
introduced to other parts of the world (I found sources saying South Africa
and Australia) purposefully as a food animal as well.

This Wikipedia page has a list of the species commonly eaten as escargot,
it may or may not be a comprehensive list of edible snails:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliciculture